Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina, Information on AID, Truth about Looting

First, if you are looking for information on disaster relief, please visit this link to “Bring it On” blog: “Bring it On”. This link will take you to a wealth of information compiled by these kind bloggers. We thank you for your effort here. If I get permission from the administraters over at "Bring it On," I will also post the phone numbers and such. How lucky we in South Florida are. Or, I should actually amend that comment and say how lucky I feel. Of course, those who lost houses or their lives in South Florida as a result of Hurricane Katrina do not feel so lucky. Comparatively, few in the hard hit gulf cost area feel lucky at all. The devastation there is, horrific. A friend of mine told me last night that she was from New Orleans and she was horrified—having to sit in class, not able to get a hold of friends and family. It is at moments like this when Emerson and his love of “Nature” offer little hope, and that is what we were looking at in class. I wish I had something witty or enlightening to say. We finally got our electricity and internet back and I can post, but I am so disoriented from the last week—our home and space, the Gulf Coast areas, New Orleans still gaining more water, gas prices skyrocketing, angry people yelling, threatening each other, looting . . . I am reminded of the novel Les Miserables by Victor Hugo where the main character, Jean Valjean, is sentenced to prison (19 years) for stealing a loaf of bread. You do such things when you feel helpless, hopeless, hungry and thirsty. If anyone can help the relief effort, even if it is only twenty dollars or sending blankets, water, food, baby food and the like, urge you to do so as I urge myself to do so. All can be whipped away in a moment, a blink as it were. For disaster relief information, please visit the “Bring it On” blog. Here you will find an extensive list of phone numbers, help available and other important information for disaster relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...