Tuesday, July 19, 2011

B is for Boobs and Birth Control

Today I am working on Chapter 6, writing about two nicknames I have been given by my peers at different times in my life - nicknames around the topic of sexuality.

The first and most frustrating nickname I was given was One-Boob-Becky when I was a child. I think the name speaks for itself. I got this name when I was at Kino and in 6th grade. The name followed me through to JR High and High School, when I finally left for WA state with my family.  To celebrate this memory, I thought I would do two things.  First, I invite you to look at this interesting Twitter feed/search on two terms: "lopsided Boobs," as well as "Boobs."I love searching Social Media for key words and topics because it lets me see a slice of spontaneous opinion about the ideas and topics.  If you linger on the Boob link for long, you will see that the updates are continuous on that topic! People like to speak about boobs.

For the heck of it, I also decided to Songify part of the chapter, a monologue I wrote on the topic of growing up with one boob.


Finally, I want to direct your attention to this interesting article from NPR that talks about the possibility of birth control being deemed mandatory for Insurance coverage: Birth Control Without Copays Could Become Mandatory. 

For years, many insurance companies would willingly cover the entire price of an abortion but NOT for birth control.  I have written and studied about this situation before and the logic continues to boggle the mind.  It is about time that birth control is seen as normal part of health care need for women.  The battle over this issue is tomorrow, when "when the independent Institute of Medicine is expected to make recommendations about preventive health care services for women." I'll be waiting and watching myself.
R

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...